Last month I attended the 2015 North American Business Excellence Forum (#BEF2015) and Awards. I am proud that my client, the Winthrop University Hospital Department of Pediatrics won the 2015 Best Not-For-Profit Business Excellence Award for the combination of their STAR Program for children with special needs, their DOWN program for children with Down Syndrome and their Hempstead Pediatrics practice. In addition, The Cancer Center for Kids, Winthrop Women’s Wellness, and Women’s Contemporary Care Associates – Maternal Fetal Medicine were all finalists in more than one award category.
This year’s forum had some amazing keynote speakers whose presentations yielded many Blinding Flashes of the Obvious (BFOs). The following are some of the BFOs that struck a chord with me. I am sure that some of these will have a similar affect on you. If I am correct in that assumption, please join the conversation and add your comments to this post.
Our first speaker was Jonathan MacDonald (www.jonathanmacdonald.com @jmacdonald), a well known international speaker on perpetual change & how to think differently about the future of business, society & technology. Here goes:
- Beat competitors by solving problems faster and/or better than them – simple and straight to the point
- Establish a balance between rapid growth and tuning – sometimes growth needs to be briefly slowed down in order to fine tune operations in order to continue to consistently deliver.
- The concept of Phase Shifting – why some companies always seem to introduce new, very cool, innovative products. To state this as simply as possible, a company’s first product may be a phase or step along their journey toward their true goal. They continually solve the increasing difficulties while adding more value with each step. Think how the USA was able to land a man on the moon. Or, is the Apple watch the end game or a phase?
- The ideal members of your team are those who have the will to succeed – you can train everything except will.
Our next speaker was Brad Sugars – Founder and Chairman of ActionCOACH. Brad spoke about the 9 Potholes On The Road To Success:
- Pothole #1 – Superhero Complex
- Kills more businesses than any other pothole
- Learn the art and science of DELEGATION
- Pothole #2 – Scarcity Thinking
- Move away from Limitations / Lack mindset
- Move toward how Big is the market or how Big SHOULD my business be to accomplish my mission?
- Pothole #3 – Doubters
- They are all around you, learn to filter
- Pothole #4 – Bad Decisions
- Learn and move on
- Always Test & Measure to limit possible damage
- Pothole #5 – Out of Your Depth
- Learn to Earn
- Build a great team and delegate
- Pothole #6 – FEAR
- False Expectations Appearing Real – Collect the facts to eliminate the False
- Failure Expected And Realized – Move beyond your self-fulfilling prophecies
- Face Everything And Rise
- Pothole #7 – Short Term Thinking
- Plan / Execute / Measure / Review / Plan / Etc.
- Phase Shift
- Pothole #8 – Overwhelm
- Break the Overwhelm cycle by taking action – one step at a time
- Pothole #9 – Self Sabotage
- Have a good look at yourself in the mirror
To be continued.