Day two was kicked off (no pun intended) by Tim Brown
, 1987 Heisman Trophy winner, NFL Hall of Fame member, and very inspirational speaker. Here are some of my Tim Brown BFOs:
- Be the coach
- Be sure of yourself & your approach
- Emphasize team
- Look for & guide team members to see their abilities & potential
- Talent is not enough – you need mental strength to succeed
- Realize that sometimes a mindset change may be required to move forward
- Seek mentors …
- Who can show you something about yourself
- See what you cannot see within you
- Say what you need to hear, not what you want to hear
- Don’t be adverse to using a proven system from elsewhere
- Little things lead to big results
The next speaker was Richard Maloney
, President of Engage and Grow, a strategic partner of ActionCOACH. In the course of presenting the benefits and outline of the Engage & Grow 12-week program, Rich enlightened us about the current poor state of employee engagement, strategies to raise the level of engagement and the benefits thereof:
across the USA only 24% of employees are highly engaged. Another way of looking at that is
on average two out of every ten of your team are so highly disengaged that they would sabotage your company, or jump ship. If you think your team would score as more engaged, think again. A survey of their clients found a 30% gap between senior management’s guess and the team’s actual level of engagement.
The Engage & Grow program taps into the science of motivation.
- A Deloitte survey found that companies with highly engaged teams were eight times more successful over a ten year period than industry peers with lower team engagement.
- Our job is to change the lives in front of us.
Next up was Paul Dunn
, Chairman of B1G1, a global business giving initiative on a mission to create a world full of giving. Paul’s presentation was in keeping with this year’s BEF theme of Serve More to Earn More.
Paul opened with the following quote from Sir Issacs Newton:
in order to show that time is increasingly compressed, he displayed some live global stats for that moment: (2/21/2017):
- 7,519 tweets / sec.
- 2,472 Skype calls / sec.
- 58,875 Google searches / sec.
- 68,234 YouTube video uploads / sec.
- 2,566,295 email / sec.
- 42,125 gbytes / sec.
He quoted Peter Diamandis:
He urged us to EARN
more to GIVE
more, and vis-a-versa:
to address these global issues
There are two
choices we can make:
“The challenge is not to be successful, the challenge is to matter more.”
– Seth Godin
From Simon Sinek’s “Start With WHY”
This wraps up part three of my 2017 BEFA BFOs. There will be more Paul Dunn and Brad Sugars in part four.