While reviewing my notes for this blog, I noticed that I omitted two Elizabeth McCormick BFOs from Part 1
- When things get hard, ask yourself “Do I Want This?”
- Communicate – Positive & Proactive
- Aviate – Take Action
- Navigate – Clarity
Elizabeth McCormick was followed by Chris Voss
, CEO of The Black Swan Group, LTD and co-author of Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
. He spent 24 years working in the FBI Crisis Negotiation Unit and was the FBI’s chief international hostage and kidnapping negotiator from 2003 to 2007. There were only a few BFOs from Mr. Voss, however they were MAJOR
. During negotiations:
- Banish “I Understand” from your vocabulary. It is condescending.
- Build confidence & trustworthiness – “Will you listen to what I have to say?”
- Open by asking a question or making a statement with the expected answer or response of NO. For example: “It looks like there is no way to get the hostages released safely.” Going for the NO gets the other side to tell you what they are really after. Chris gave several sales-oriented examples: “It looks like you are not interested saving money for payroll processing while getting quicker service.”
- Never say “you’re right” only say “That’s right” and then shut up!
- Perceived EMPATHY is a Truth Serum
Our next speaker was Dr. Tony Alessandra
, CEO of Assessments 24×7, LLC. Dr. Alessandra is a prolific author with 30 books translated into over 50 foreign language editions, including the newly revised, best-selling The NEW Art of Managing People
; The Platinum Rule
; Collaborative Selling
; and Communicating at Work
. ActionCOACH has a strategic partnership with Assessments 24×7 that enables my colleagues and I to offer a variety of online assessments, including the widely used DISC profile
, the Hartman HVP
, Motivators (Values/PIAV)
assessment, and several 360º effectiveness assessments. BFOs from Dr. Alessandra include:
- “Prescription before diagnosis is malpractice.” This represents a prime reason we at ActionCOACH offer a complementary diagnostic coaching session before suggesting a coaching program to prospective clients.
- Establishing a competitive advantage is founded on an understanding of customer needs (not wants) and the ability of competitors to meet those needs. Understanding your competitive advantage allows you to sell value, not price.
- Understand your Uniqueness’s, Advantages & Disadvantages
- To dig deeper and to differentiate your offering from your competition in a given situation use this tool
||Your Advantages compared to competitor
||Your Disadvantages compared to competitor
- How well does our solution address the needs and goals you expressed earlier?
- What other advantages do you see in our solution?
- How closely does this solution fit your budget & timeline?
- How will you determine the success of our solution?
- What needs do you see that I might have missed?
- Alessandra presented three case studies on the effectiveness of using various combinations assessments during recruiting and hiring. As the saying goes, “your results may vary.” Nonetheless, using assessments before offering a position to a candidate increases the likelihood of a successful hire.
This concludes the major BFOs from the first day of the Business Excellence Forum. Stay tuned for day 2’s BFOs, coming soon.
Here are some more BFO’s from February’s 2015 North American Business Excellence Forum (#BEF2015) and Awards. On the second day of the conference, we were privileged to be entertained, motivated and advised by Jeffrey Gitomer (@gitomer facebook.com/jeffreygitomer linkedin.com/in/jeffreygitomer) a well known speaker, blogger, author and trainer focused on sales. His style is rapid fire; I could barely keep up with him with my notes. Nevertheless, here are some of my top Gitomer BFO’s :
- Gitomer Rule #1 – Make the prospect laugh and think within the first minute, or you’ll spend the rest of your time trying to recover
- People don’t like to be sold, they like to buy – One of his core lessons
- Tell stories that make you believable, facts and figures are forgotten, stories are TOLD and RETOLD
- Control and engage a conversation by asking questions
- Service after the sale leads to both Reputation and Referrals
- Service response for non-salespeople is more powerful than sales – Everyone is in SALES
- You MUST be perceived to be EASY to do business with 7.365
- The biggest barrier to sales is fear of consequences
- Become known as a person and business of value.
And many, many more. I strongly suggest that you subscribe to Gitomer’s Sales Caffeine newsletter (www.salescaffeine.com) for further insight into sales and selling.
Brad Sugars, Founder and Chairman of ActionCOACH returned to the stage and spoke about some of the basic concepts that are the foundation of ActionCOACH. Here are some of my BFO’s from Brad, in no particular order:
- The ActionCOACH Formula for Change – (D x V) + F > R
- Dissatisfaction (with the current situation)
- Vision (what will be after the change)
- First Steps (make them easy)
- Resistance (to the change)
- BE x DO = HAVE – Ever wonder why most multi-million dollar lottery winners become worse off financially than they were before they won the millions within a shockingly short time? The answer is they didn’t have the BEing of a millionaire and therefore didn’t DO what millionaires do and therefore didn’t truly HAVE the millions. You must BE whatever you need to be in order to truly and continually achieve your goals.
- Living your life above the line of choice
- Above the line is Ownership, Accountability and Responsibility – have an OAR to steer your life
- Below the line is Blame, Excuses and Denial – you might as well stay in bed
- Watch of for the Taps on your Shoulder – Because problems that are unaddressed just get bigger as time passes, you need to tune into the early warnings, the “taps on your shoulder” before you get smacked with a a 2×4, or worse hit by a Mack truck further down the road of life
- If you build a business to be replicable (even if you have no plans to replicate) it will be stronger and more valuable – Propels you toward the ActionCOACH definition of a successful business A Commercial Profitable Enterprise That Works Without You
- If it is being done, it can be done, and therefore You/I Can Do It! – A great attitude to have in life
- Determine what is the highest and best use of your time, and adhere to it
Two more very important BFO’s from Brad Sugars:
- When you believe in your mission, you have a moral and ethical obligation to follow it
- Knowledge is not the problem, it is lack of ACTION
Finally, every speaker who presented at the BEF said the following in one way or another:
Schedule Time To Think
– Those who think govern those who labor